9.29.2006

I'm the queen of segways.

You know yesterday, when I said I was going to beat a ten minute mile. Well, I kinda lied, I didn't beat a ten minute mile. But I came starkingly close: 10:21. And, you know how I joking said that the bet would be null and void if I passed out after the run. Well, I almost did. When I finished, I was kind of upset over not reaching my goal, and I already had some trouble breathing, so I went into, in my mind, a full blown asthma attack. My throat closed up and I was weezing and my chest hurt, and I seriously thought I was going to pass out. But I didn't, it's all good, except I still have to beat a ten minute mile. Maybe I'll time myself when I go running with my friend on Monday.

Speaking of Monday, we have a nice three day weekend because of the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur. Again, I don't quite know the full story about this holiday, but I know it's the holiest Jewish holiday and consists of fasting from sunrise to sunset. And, of course, people were complaining about having to fast on Monday (or Sunday, whenever they have to fast this weekend), and I thought like saying "What about the Muslims in our school (and around the world) that have to fast everyday for a whole MONTH." I have two friends that observe Ramadan (said fasting for a month), and I really don't know how they do it. I guess they're just used to it by now, after doing for a few years, but still, I applaud their dedication.

Also, speaking of my friend/running partner, I went to her volleyball game today. She's a starting sophomore on varsity, as is another one of our friends, and they did really well despite her having some "distractions" and a really bad ref. I'm glad I get to go to her games, because she doesn't really have very good self-esteem, and I'm glad I can help her feel better about herself by just showing up and cheering on the sidelines. Plus, it's just good to get out of the house, and it's a good social event. Now, I said distrastions in quotes before becasue she convinced her crush (for lack of a better word) to come to the game, and he was actually really attentive the time he was there. And I thought that was pretty cool. And it helped her confidence.

Speaking of social events, I've heard that Plainview has gained the reputation of a "party town" by other towns on Long Island. Well, if we have so many parties, how come I haven't been invited to any? My friend said that most of the parties are hosted by juniors and seniors, but still, I don't even hear about them. I guess that means they're pretty well kept secrets.

Oh, and the highlight of my day:

-We were talking about allotropes in chemistry (I know, I couldn't contain my excitement either), and she asked what common element besides carbon has allotropes. Well, I figured that oxygen is a pretty common element, why not guess that one, right. So, turns out I was right, and then she asked was the most common allotrope was, and somehow I pulled ozone out of my sponge brain, and everyone was amazed at my "intelligence", even Steven (wow, not only a rhyme, but the name of a tv show. I amaze even myself sometimes).

So yeah, on the whole (which always reminds me of Austin Powers: Goldmember), I'd say today was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home