3.24.2006

pancreases and Jell-O, a fitting combination

Hey guys, I have ( I think) a lot to talk about today, so I'm going to break it up into a few posts, because when I get into my rants I tend to talk a lot, er, type a lot, and my fingers get tired.

So, I'm just going to talk about my double biology class today while it is fresh in my mind. Ok, so I went to class 4th period as always, blah blah blah, and we were going to spend the first period going over our last two tests and the second doing a lab. So, as we were going over the first test, we found out that out teacher had made answer key wrong and had marked two questions wrong when they were right. And that was that for the first test.

Now, when I got back the second test, I saw that I got this question wrong:

Choose one of the following organs that best fits the statement:

1- Adrenal Gland
2- Thyroid Gland
3- Pancreas
4- Pituitary Gland
5- Small Intestine

(here's the statement:) The woman in a circus show weights 300 pounds.

I said the pancreas because she could get diabetes, but the right answer was thyroid because she has something wrong with her metabolism. Here's how it went down:

Me: How do you know she has something wrong with her metabolism? How do you know she doesn't just eat 20 cheeseburgers a day?
Friend: Because it doesn't say she does
Me: It doesn't say she has something wrong with her metabolism either. She could just as well have diabetes.
Friend: I guess
Me: Or there could be something wrong with her intestine. She could not be absorbing the right nutrients
Friend: Well...
Me: Or she could have something wrong with her pituitary that makes her bones grow out of control. Because, you know, some people aren't fat, they're big boned.

For some reason, that big boned thing just set me off. I was laughing so hard I was crying. Not just tearing but streams down my cheeks. The rest of the class and my teacher looked at me like I was a lunatic. It took me a good five minutes to calm down. Then, as we were going over it, another kid in my class had the same problem with that question, and I almost broke down again. It was the most I had to restrain myself from laughing in my entire life. Ah, good times.

So then the second period we did a lab, and the lab procedure isn't important, all you need to know is this:

1- We were testing some substance that was gelatinous
2- It turned pink for the experiment, and it looked like watermelon Jell-O
3- Part of the experiment was to cut the cubes we had, so at the end we had 10 chunks of pink gelatinous goo on our table

So, after we had finished the experiment, we were working on the questions at the table, and I took the razor we had (to cut the jello-stuff) and started cutting it, and I remarked how it looked like Jell-O and I would eat it if it was edible. Now, it wasn't, but we got into this whole thing about how it looks like Jell-O and what flavor it would be (watermelon) and how sick you would get if you really ate it. And then we cut it up into little cubes (hundreds of them) and then threw them out. It was thankfully amusing because the actual lab was quite dull.

Ok, tired fingers, more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home